Friday, June 1, 2007

Judy Brady's, "I Want a Wife."

Katie Rupp
6/1/07
#6
After reading Judy Brady's, "I want a Wife" i had mixed emotions. While reading through the paragraphs I felt Brady was exaggerating. She made it seem like women do everything. A wife cooks, cleans, is a host to guests, and makes sure the children are taken care of. I was thinking that this was obviously written a long time ago. I thought that until a couple of nights ago when I was cooking and doing the dishes. I was folding the laundry that I washed. I was cleaning the bathroom and kitchen floor. I do everything around the house, my husbands only 'duty' is to take the garbage out.
I realized that Brady was fairly accurate with her portrayal of a wife. My husband will cook or do laundry only once in a great while. That is usually only when I refuse to do it. Most of the time it is just easier and faster if I do it. Unfortunately I think that roles for a wife and for a husband are still the same as in the 70's.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I don't think it will be a surprise to you, Katie, that most of my traditional classroom students also think that this essay is outdated until I ask them to think about their own homes. There are certainly exceptions, but an awful lot of heads nod with the dawning awareness that the wife in the essay is the mom in their house. If you read Brian's and Mike's posts, though, I hope you'll appreciate another view.