Friday, June 1, 2007

In response to questions 6 of June Brady's "I Want a Wife."

In June Brady’s essay, “I Want a Wife”, she discusses her fanatical views on men, women, and roles in a marriage. Picking the book off the floor after throwing it and narrowly missing a small child, I said to my wife, “You have to read this!” I was so worked up all I could see were dryer sheets and dishwashing liquid. I was completely agitated and slightly emasculated. It wasn’t until I was finished repairing the hole in the wall where the book hit that I realized it was written in 1971. Even with this information I was still trying to calm down and think rationally.

Mrs. Brady effectively conveyed her message to me even though it is slightly asqued. Her message is that women are the glue that holds the household, society, and the world together. Ok, I may be reading too much into it but her statements do lead one to think that men are lazy, selfish and uncaring. I must stop and state that I do realize there are men like that. I am not sexist, racist, or stylish (I’m not sure what that has to do with anything). I believe that it is important for the husband and wife to share responsibilities. Take up the slack and help in each others weakness. Just like my wife’s weakness in taking out the garbage and my weakness in cooking and doing dishes. It is however, important to see all sides.

When I finished and realized that she had written this essay in the seventies, I thought that she sure was brave to start shedding light on the societal norm that has existed since the Ice Age. All this written not to far after June Cleaver showed us all what a “Real” woman is like. I’m sure that it caused as violent of a reaction then, as it did with me, minus the hole in the wall and the hospital bill for my son.

Her views of the “perfect” wife may be slightly out dated. We as a society have started switching to the opposite view. We are starting to look down our noses at the stay at home mom. I have seen people’s reaction when I tell them that my wife does stay at home. It is automatically assumed that she must not be educated or her controlling husband makes her. That is just as far off base as Mrs. Brady’s views.

Where do we go from here? Is there a happy middle? Will we ever be content with our roles? I know that I will be happy just as long as my wife puts a lot of frosting and a dab of cinnamon on it. Oh and has it ready when I get home to watch my shows.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Excellent writing voice, Brian. I laughed out loud when reading this. I also understood the point you were making, which is essential when writing, isn't it? I am interested in having you develop the paragraph about stay at home moms. I agree with you, and I think it would strengthen your point to give specifics about why it is a priority for your wife.