Thursday, May 31, 2007

Response to "I Want a Wife"

In Judy Brady's "I Want a Wife", she clearly states her belief that the wife is the one in the home who keeps the household running. Not only is she responsible for the children, she is also responsible for her husband, almost as if he is another child in the home. I would have to agree with Brady and that her essay holds more truth to it than many people realize. Although the essay was written in 1971, the role of the wife has accumulated even more jobs in the twenty-first century. Many wives are now holding down full-time jobs or multiple part-time jobs. With the evolution of the Internet and cable television, wives also have to find time to surf the Internet for whatever their husband is looking for. Wives also have to make time to accompany their husband on the couch, at his request, to watch his favorite television show, and stay awake (even if he doesn't).
As a single mom who is a full-time student and holds two part-time jobs, I can relate to a having a husband who does nothing. I am the sole person responsible for everything in my home. I believe Brady's essay teaches women to be strong and independent, but it also teaches them to be submissive to their husband. It also teaches women that if they don't do things correctly for their husband they can easily be replaced. It's almost as if the role of the women has never changed from the early 1900's. I may change my mind and decide I want a wife as well instead of a husband!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I'm not so sure that the article is written with such a straighforward voice. I find there to be a healthy amount of sarcasm in it. If that's the case, how does it affect what Brady is saying on the surface level?