Thursday, May 17, 2007

What About Those Tests?

Many of my tests have always come at the wrong time for me. I would like to be allowed to take them when I am ready and without a time limit. I have a hard time with the more difficult course material, especially when I am trying to recall the specific information to be able to answer the questions. Why does there need to be a time limit? Obviously I would not be sitting there looking out the window, I would be jotting down things that popped into my head until I recall the right answer or I would finish the remainder of the test and come back to that question before I turn in my exam. If I could not think of anything within ten minutes, I would give up and turn in my paper. I took a class in which my brain could not comprehend the material at a fast pace and I failed the class. I did not ask for special time to take my tests but I could have at least tried to speak with the instructor about my problems.
I also have a problem with instructors who do not allow you to keep the graded exams. If my purpose here is to learn the material, wouldn’t that justify giving my graded test back to me? I did have one instructor who allowed me to go over one of my old exams and I wanted to take notes on the questions I had gotten wrong and I was not allowed to. How will I know what information I need to concentrate on or what exactly is all “jacked up” in my head if I am not allowed to have my exam? I do not have a photographic memory and I can’t remember what the questions were, let alone what answers I chose, even ten minutes after I have turned the test in.
I have also seen students cheating on tests and I have also heard others talking about cheating on an exam when I hear them talking in the hallways between classes. Do the rich students deserve to be treated different than those of us who are poor? In Paul Goodman’s essay he hints towards the subject of rich students being given better grades. I agree with his presumption about the “prestigious Universities” schema.
Testing does lead to competition. In some of the classes I have taken, there has been so much competition that I actually saw a student get pushed aside by one of the popular crowd. I felt so bad for that person. I am older and have been pushed aside many times but I no longer let this intimidate me. I am what I am, I do what I can do, and I don’t expect to be on top of the pile looking down on all of the unfortunate people. I guess because I am older, I don’t need all of the recognition that some people require.
My overall GPA is in the C range but I feel like I work so hard to even get that grade. For some people the subject matter is easy, but I have not been able to find a class offered at this school that was like that for me. When I get my diploma, I hope my employer will look beyond the low GPA and evaluate me by my work and my dedication to learn my new job.

No comments: