Thursday, May 17, 2007

Testing for the Future...or Not

Being nineteen years old and having gone through the many rigorous years of elementary, middle school, and high school education, I've come to realize a lot about life and testing that is incorportated to supposedly determine our future. I personally am one who has not really struggled in getting good grades, that is until I came to college. No, I'm not necessarily flunking or anything, but I do know that I could do better than a 2.8. I have always been one who does better when under stress when it comes to testing, but the stress has often times influenced how well I have been able to complete my tests and the time in which it has taken me. In high school it seemed to be more of a problem for me seeing as to how I was always "competing" against my fellow classmates and friends to see who could score higher on the ACT or even the tests given everyday in class. Many students strive to be the best of the best and those who have the potential seem to get left in the dust, which is why I agree with Goodman.

I personally enjoyed reading Goodman's essay because I often times have felt that it was only me who felt that way about testing. Testing definitely has its pros and cons, much like everything else in life. What I don't think many people take into account are the stresses and anxiety that go along with grading and tests. For example, my roommate this year was one who did not deal with test taking, especially math. She was put on medication that would help to slow her heart rate down so that she could some what focus on testing. She had to go at great lengths to try and calm herself down and to try and not let that influence her academics. I too get extremely nervous and find myself more times than not doubting my ability to do well on a test.

Another factor invovled in test taking that I don't feel is very fair is the implementation of multiple choice questions. Yes, I like others really like multiple choice questions because who can go wrong with having a chance of 25% in getting a question right? However, if you're a good guesser than multiple choice questions are a great thing for you, but they really don't measure your intelligence. Overall grading means more stress for everyone. Teachers are pressured to place students in a certain category, students are constantly stressed out in trying to make the grade, and those capable of being an A or B student are left behind because of the stresses involved. Doing away with grading would mean less stress for everyone and more time in improving the quality and value of life and most importantly education.

No comments: