Thursday, June 28, 2007

Gay Marriages Should be Legalized

Melanie E. Woldt
June 28, 2007
Composition II
Week 7 Blog Entry

Gay Marriage: Should it be legal or not?

“Marriage is essentially a lifelong compact between a man and a woman committed to sexual exclusivity and the creation and nurture of offspring.” This is stated by Lisa Schiffren in her essay “Gay Marriage, an Oxymoron.” Why? Why does it have to be just between a man and a woman? Why can’t it be between two guys? So two guys love each other….who cares? If they want to get married, then by all means, they should get married.
Thomas B. Stoddard, in his essay “Gay Marriages: Make Them Legal,” says “And it [marriage] can no longer be argued—if it ever could—that marriage is fundamentally a procreative unit.” Marriages are NOT about making babies and raising kids together. Sure, some people want that, but not everybody does. Marriages are about two people totally in love with each other that they want to be together for all eternity. If the person you happen to fall in love with is of the same sex, why should it matter?
Many argue that it is against their religious beliefs to see two people of the same sex legally married. In fact, that’s what I believe. I believe that it is against my religion as it does say it is a sin in the bible, but I believe that a homosexual couple should be allowed to marry. I just don’t believe that they should be married by a priest, or a pastor, or anyone else of religious nature, but I believe that they can certainly be married by a judge. As it does conflict with the religious views, it doesn’t make sense to me to have a religious patron marry the couple.
People can lead perfectly normal lives as homosexuals, so why should it matter if they are legally married to each other? The way the debates go, it makes homosexuality sound like one giant contagious disease. Sure, I don’t agree with it, but that doesn’t mean that I should prevent two people from being happy. The world needs more happiness in it.
I am a bit of a romantic. I believe that every person needs to have someone to love and needs to be loved in return. I am so much of a romantic that at the end of a great movie, if the villain does not have a significant other, I feel really sorry for that villain. I am not saying that homosexuality is a villainous act; I am just saying that every body needs to have somebody.
Everybody needs to have somebody to get up and live for. If that just so happens to be the love of your life gay spouse, so be it. To be ridiculed for whom you love or who makes you happy is not the way things need to be. Society needs to be more accepting of homosexual relationships and the first step in that is to legalize gay marriages.

No comments: