Thursday, June 21, 2007

Fate Should Have Decided

Katie Rupp
# 5
6/21/2007

I do not believe that there is any situation where it would be alright to sacrifice somebody else’s life for my own. Human beings are all equal, no matter race or religion. In cultures like ours we place prestige with rank. The higher ranked you are, the more important you must be. In a situation where people’s lives are at stake, nobody has the right to order you to kill yourself.
I completely agree with Associate Justice of the US Supreme Court, Benjamin Cardozo. He said “If none are ready to sacrifice themselves,” their survival must be up to fate. Ordering the fourteen male and two female passengers to jump over board is, “unlawful homicide.” Holmes’s defense argues that he was trying to save the lives of the other passengers. If that is true I think he should have volunteered his life and saved one of the sixteen who were forced to die. The fact that he got six months in jail and a twenty dollar fine is ridiculous. I think he should have gotten the death penalty. I could not even imagine how scary it would have been to have jump into the water knowing that you are going to die.

No comments: